Carina505

I Am Carina And I Speak For The Books!

This Same Earth (Volume 2)
Elizabeth Hunter
That's What Brothers Do - Derekica Snake This is hard to review, and truthfully, I kept going back and forth between a 2 star and a 4 star rating. This is definetly a love or hate book. Somehow, I think I managed to draw a balance between love and hate, and with a cold mind is that I want to write this review, because if I start getting too emotionally involved in this writting then I can honestly say, I would have about 2 or 3 pages to rant about all the good and bad thing in this book. So here I go.This was disturbing. You know the saying, "Its like a car wreck, you can't look away from the horror." Well this would be the perfect example for that saying.Brant is a whore. No, I'm not judging, and you shouldn't either. Not until you know what happens to him when he was only 14 years old. He offers him self for payment after his father is in a deep debt, that he can't pay back. Brant does it because they were going to take one of his 4 sisters as payment and he couldn't let that happen. He sacrifices him self instead because That's What Brothes do.This next part might be a little spoilerish to the story and plot so read at your own risk.After years and years of paying for that debt he finally has a better life offered to him by the same loan shark that whored him around. Don't ask me how, but Brant has developed feelings for Wilber, the loan shark, and decides to stay with him. Finally it looks like things are looking up for Brant, or Goth Boy, as Wilber calls him. And then its all ripped away from him.He once again is put through hell and comes out standing because he is just that strong of a person. Back in Wilbers arms after 3 years of being apart, he can finally feel that he is more to Wilber than just eye candy, but once again everything is taken away from him.In the end, he gets his Happily ever after...or as Happily ever after as he's going to get.So he endures hell and back, once....twice....thrice....I was really asking my self, is there anyway that Brant will ever be happy?The book deals with prostitution and rape. Alot of rape. The scenes are described very crudly so don't expect to read any censored stuff from this writter. The characters....well lets just say its another love/hate sittuation. Brant is so strong, and HE doesn't even realize it. He is selfless and giving but he feel like everything that has happened to him, was his fault. My heart constricted with pain everytime he suffered some more. I was just desperate for him to find some happiness. And in his own way, he did.Wilber, I seriously despised him in the beggining of the book. I don't like him now, but I can't say that I hate him either. He has more than a ton of despiteful qualities, but that 1 or 2 redeamable qualities altered my perspective on him some. Just some.Now Constanine I definetly still hate. If yoiu read this, you'll know why. I have to admire an author who can bring such a controversial topic and make me like the book. No, I don't like the prostitution factor or the rape factor. I in no way support it. But The book is very, VERY, well written and it exploit issues that are happening out there right now. The writting might be raw and crude, but it is also very thruthful and realistic. Its not sugar coated.So if you're up for the challenge, then go ahead and give this a try. It might not be fluffy and pretty, but its an eye opener.